View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
friedlbug
EcoModding Lurker

JadeAccent - '01 Hyundai Accent GL
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)

Sonata - '11 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid base
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Summer FE options - Scooter, bike assist, etc

The is a cross-post with cleanmpg.com, but only because I want your opinions, too. I'm weighing some options for Summer now and considering what would make the most sense for me. I plan to use some of the economic stimulus refund (if it ever actually happens). My options, as I see them, are a small scooter or a bike with assist. The scooter would be a small gas model, as would the bike assist. Electric is probably out because my commute is 30 miles round trip, very hilly, and I think tunnels are off-limits to this class of vehicle. Highways will not be an option, either.

I have a lot to look into. For the scooter, I don't have enough money for a Japanese or Italian brand, and Chinese scooters are known to be junk. I would need to keep it under a certain max speed (30 MPH in PA, I think) to avoid it being considered a motorcycle. I'm overweight, and am not sure if such a scooter could keep me at a reasonable speed on a hill. A bike w/assist might be better since I could help the motor out by pedaling on hills. If pedaling is only needed in an amount I can handle until getting into a little better shape, and I don't end up needing a shower by the time I get to work, this could work out. OTOH, I won't be able to commute on it if I need to pedal too much.

I would only be able to commute on the scooter two days a week due to child transportation issues. The bike could be used for half the commute two additional days if it could be transported on a car carrier, since I can leave my car at the child care (family), and that is half way to work.

Any thoughts, and please let me know if you have any experience with commuting on a small scooter or bike w/assist.