View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #239 (permalink)
windrider919
EcoModding Lurker

Bondo, You have an exciting concept but I think you might be missing the boat. I wanted to build a aerocap when I bought my '95 Dodge Dakota in '95. And I have considered it about a 1000 times a year since. Every time I drive from texas to a job in Florida or up to Washington state, etc. I am a construction Millwright and an A&P and a experienced sail/power boat FRP build/repair guy. I could build one. Yet I do not have one. I saw a sign a few years ago on a table at a craft show: "Yes you could make one but will you?" Obviously, as stated I have not. But I COULD and would buy one.

So, here is where you could make some progress towards your dream. You have the mould(s). Put them to work. How much would it take to cover materials for a 2006 F-150 Aerocap? Put out the word {here and other MPG sites} for orders and deposits to cover cost of materials. Set a deadline of submission of 30 or 45 days. See what the response is, what if 10 of us committed to buy? Then call for those deposits to get firm order numbers. What could it hurt to see what ACTUAL interest is? Let all of us who have expressed interest put our money where our mouth is. I work lots of small contracts where the customer pays 1/3 down, 1/3rd at 50% completion and 1/3rd at final. Or just deposit (non-refundable) and at completion pay the balance. If someone defaulted on final payment I am da*m sure someone else would buy it for the remainder.

And for shipping / delivery. Perhaps someone like me could come up to pick up my shell and load on a trailer 3 or 4 other guys shells and drive a route to deliver them if they pay a percentage of the gas. Or perhaps we could come out with something else creative for shipping / delivery.

The real cool thing about this is it is the best proof of saleability to go to potential investors or manufacturers and SHOW that there is a market. Its all about Forward Momentum. Lets make some!

Last edited by windrider919; 08-22-2009 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: non-refundable
The Following User Says Thank You to windrider919 For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (12-29-2012)