View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 04:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
drimportracing
EcoModding Lurker

It was only about 5 years ago I quit throwing a lot of money away on making perfectly good cars faster and less dependable.

My daily driver race car, a very quick, 99 Civic Si was stolen in late 2004, so I replaced it with a new 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT (17/25mpg) then last year when gas went up to $4.00 I hypermiled my first tank with my Geo Metro convertible (I've had three metros in the last five years for pizza delivery) and I haven't looked back since. I went from 32mpg to an average of 43mpg in the last year hypermiling/delivering.

I've let a friend take over payments on the Magnum and he let's me "borrow it" when I want it for dates and stuff. It's been at my house this past week and I drove it 5 miles total.

I now find as much satisfaction in improving my mileage in the Geo as I used to in warming up tires behind the tree. There isn't the foot shaking adrenalin at the end of the strip kind of excitement that I used to enjoy but I actually save money with hypermiling and I'm not worried about someone stealing my Geo either. Though people have asked to buy it more than a few times. - Dale