View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
chuckm
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Anyway you will increase the demands on your battery if you increase system voltage and reduce your "range". Applying more voltage means your electrical components will draw more current.
I'm just aiming to maintain the same voltage as currently supplied by my alternator and battery. I'd much rather keep my headlights as bright as they are now (the difference between the luminosity at 14.5 and 12V is probably directly proportional to the voltage and 17% is an awful lot of light).

Christ, you may be right about my water pump being driven by the timing belt. But I think it is driven by the serpentine, or so one of the moderators at Corolland.com said. The picture of the water pump at autozone seems to show a belt pulley as well.

My thought is to attempt to size my battery pack to run my electrical system and "electrocharger" for 100 miles (running down to ~75% charge). That will give me a fair amount of spare capacity for longer drives and maximize battery life. Since the electrocharger can run at a constant rpm, the controls should be relatively easy: on or off. I'd probably look at a kit like this one for my e-motor kit. I would think that this would be powerful enough to do what I want.