View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Wow, what a bike. I wish we had those over in the States. Inline 4 cylinder 250cc.... revving to 20,000rpms.... must be a blast to ride!

The first thing i could suggest is leaving for work a bit earlier and traveling slower on the highway. Traveling 75mph (120km/h) is hurting your mpg numbers quite significantly. Slowing it down to 60-65mph (100km/h) will probably net you another 5 or so mpg. If you can swing it, drive like i do and only travel 55mph (85-88km/h). 55mph seems to be the sweet spot for highway traveling.

Question: What is your RPM's vs Speed when cruising in 6th gear on the highway?

The next thing would be to gear the bike down by either added a tooth in the front sprocket or dropping 3-5 teeth in the rear sprocket, or do both. This will lower your rpms in all gears. I went from a 14/45 (3.21 final drive) to a 15/39 (2.60 final drive) on my Ninja 250, and it helped my economy quite a bit. Remember though, by lowering the gearing you are effectively decreasing your acceleration. Since you are posting on a fuel economy website, im sure you are willing to sacrifice a little acceleration for fuel economy .

Finally, practice driving without brakes and engine off coasting. Pay attention to the traffic ahead of you and adjust your speed accordingly so that you do not have to use your brakes. When coming to stop signs or when you have to slow down significantly, pull the clutch in and hit the kill switch.

Most importantly.... drive safe and have fun!

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today