View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #50 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
The city does it because there's no penalty for them doing it, and they know that many people can't afford to take a day off work to fight them (actually more than one day, as a local traffic judge that sees most of these doesn't even want to hear evidence. If you're in his court, you're guilty, so add at least another day and lawyer's fees to fight it at a higher level.) The city keeps a good chuck of the over $400 of these tickets, and there's no downside to them.

Don't give me this "if you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" crap. This is about fleecing innocent people to make more money. If the state makes a simple law such as, "here is the minimum yellow time according to the speed limit, and somebody must run the red by more than 1 second to be ticketed", I would be a lot less against it. Plus, the "if you're doing nothing wrong" argument has been used to justify a lot of atrocities in the last few years, from torture to unlawful imprisonment to "free speech zones".
Exactly- the court is not into "speedy and fair" as we were told in school. Years ago I got a bogus speeding ticket- stupid cop wrote me up for 45 in a 30... only problem was, I hadn't made it to the 30 zone yet! So I go to court to fight it. First appearance: no cop. Judge reschedules court. Second appearance: no cop. Judge reschedules court. I ask the judge how many more times I have to come to court for this and get shouted down. Third appearance: WHOA! Cop showed up! along with prosecuting attorney. I kicked their a**es and won. After taking HOW MUCH TIME OFF WORK???

And you "do nothing wrong" guys- Your number will come up. It's not like I advocate running reds. But I do speak out against entrapment.