View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
JackMcCornack
EcoModding Apprentice

Metro-powered sports car project

I'm noodling away on a mid engined DIY sports car with a Metro donor. The intent is to write a book a la the "Build Your Own Sports Car on a Budget" book the Locost (home built Lotus Seven-ish cars) community is based on. It won't be any rocket ship, but it should be good and spritely, with 2/3 the frontal area of a Metro and about 1100 pounds empty weight. The objective is high fuel economy, small construction footprint (most of the parts will be used), fun to drive and cheap and easy to build.

I guess this could be considered an extreme ecomod of a Metro. I think of it as an inexpensive alternative to MAX, which you Mother Earth News readers may be familiar with. Metros are bunches more common and affordable than Kubotas (Metros with decent drivelines but beater bodies and interiors go fairly cheap, a turbo Kubota will set you back about five grand) and it's easier to streamline a mid engined sports car than a front engined sports car, and a sports car is sufficient for most driving tasks...anyway, it seems like a good idea to me but I may be only entertaining myself. Is this of interest to anybody else?