View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
IsaacCarlson
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Lighter flywheel for two reasons?

I have been searching the forum for flywheel tech, and have come up with this.
In a manual trans you want a heavy flywheel to prevent stalling when engaging clutch. But at the same time a heavier flywheel takes more energy to get up to speed. If you are going through 4 or 5 gears you are spinning that flywheel up to speed 4 or 5 times in a row and wasting a LOT of energy. I just did some research and found out the flywheel in my auto weighs 30 LBS!!!!! The aftermarket FW weighs in at a whopping 14.9 LBS!!! THATS HALF THE ENERGY TO GET IT MOVING. If i consider the fact that my car weighs just under 4,000 LBS i need to cut as much weight as possible. A lighter flywheel would also make starting a LOT easier, especially in winter. Oh, and then you have better throttle response too, and maybe quicker 0-speed limit times as well.

EDIT: Oh, and you would probably have less body roll in corners and less stress on engine mounts because a lighter flywheel would have less resistance to change of axis compared to a heavy beast.

I just think lighter FWs make sense on auto trans cars.

please let me know if i an wrong but please don't spout off if you have nothing to back it up.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear