View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
I'm no mechanic but I do work with machines etc. My guess is that it would not be easy in a fwd car. The easiest place (and not necessarily the right place) would be where the starter is. But the motor speed, due to the gearing, would end up phenomenal to say the least. Another option is to fit it between the gearbox and the engine. Space limitations apply big time here but it would be direct to the gearbox and the speed of the motor and gearbox could match reasonably easily.
All i can think of after that is to fit motors to the back wheels. The weight of the wheels then goes up of course, not to mention the problems with sticking two motors in the mud and water every day......
I briefly thought about having a drive motor connected through the alternator belt. Power would be limited by the strength of the belt and there would be losses. As Roflwaffle said, it would only serve to offset engine losses. But thats no small thing either is it? The only advantage of this is that it would be relatively easy to install and the real work would be in managing the whole package electrically. Beyond me but doable i'm sure.

ollie