View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #171 (permalink)
JeepNmpg2
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
Cool Cat Back exhaust on Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdconcepts View Post
Has anyone tried a header and a cat back exhaust? i'm curious to see if that will add any efficiency to the 4.0 since the exhaust is pretty restrictive. i have a 99 cherokee with a 4.0 and would like some real world feed back on this mod before i do it.
SD - I have done both stages on my exhaust, first with the high flow cat-back system, which was a huge improvement over stock. I did it at the same time I did the custom air intake, so the combination was very noticable and no torque loss. Some months later, I had the cat switched out for a high flow model from Magnaflow which gives more overall power, but I noticed a tiny bit less in the low-midrange. I had flash new maps to my computer to make up that difference, but if you just want cat-back, it's a great upgrade! Sounds nice too! I recomend Flowmaster 40 series (or 50 series if you like it more stock sounding), which is not very loud, but is noticable. I've gotten a few looks from others thinking I have a V8 under the hood from the lower rumble it makes. Hope this helps you! I noticed a little better mileage when cruising the freeway, maybe 1 or 2 MPG but you have to fight the urge to put your foot in it every once in a while (which defeats the purpose of the economy of the mod)

Last edited by JeepNmpg2; 08-29-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Additional information