View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
But you're exactly right -- most drivers are afraid of the gas pedal and rarely see redline. A gasser that acts like a Diesel makes sense if we want better FE. It's a mindset that may not recover.
it may not recover? at this rate it is never going to. I do not even know how the inline four exists for as long as it has, any version. Is the purr of 136 foot pound at 2800 rpm on a 3 main boxer that scary? are most drivers lesser hearing? they need the revs screaming loud lunatic apparently...while a 23 year boxer is still surpassing the worlds greatest v-tec on an original build...
FI is maxxed at 38, with a singular source of fuel, the average today is lucky for 30 on the 2+ liters, different weight class, and engine, is all the more appealing to get abigger car. I am done with four cylinders after my old carbed sube. The genius revealed to me, no looking back.don't even bother with a sales pitch. I have had 3600 pound cars with v8s within 5mpg nominal of an inline screaming 2+ liter ricer...and to KNOW it is the exact same result today. No more four cylinders for me.