View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
oldertech
OldertechGuy

Scott'sTxVx - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 48.7 mpg (US)
Chevy's MPGs

Maybe after owning a Chevy Cobalt, I'm a fanboy of sorts. Well, I sold it in favor of a '92 Honda VX. But I did respect the Cobalt for it's mileage with the 2.2L Ecotec and handling with electric steering. And it runs a timing chain instead of a rubber band and was smooth as glass.

But more on the Equinox. Where are you getting the 1 mpg figure? I'm reading fueleconomy.gov and the Honda CR-V isn't listed for 2010, but for 2009, it's rated at 27mpg. As far as the Escape Hybrid, I wouldn't even put it's 31mpg/battery boosted performance in the same category, as the Equinox is a conventional-based vehicle without any battery stuff to have die and replace. You didn't mention the Toyota RAV 4 which is getting 28 highway. So the Equinox, with it's 6 speed automatic getting 32 really is a big deal for someone who thinks they need a crossover vehicle. It sounds good to me, and I recommended it to my boss for consideration of our company car to replace a 20mpg minivan.

Not to say that GM hasn't made lots of awful stuff, but I believe they are making a real try at MPG in some of their models. Except that Aveo. I'd stay a mile away from that with gas figures lower than Cobalt. But I digress.

OK, I'll go back to my 45 city MPG in my VX. But if I needed a crossover, I'd consider the Equinox.

Scott