View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Turk182
EcoModding Lurker

Betty - '08 Volvo S60 2.5T
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Find out what she really wants in a car. She may be naming traits she likes because she has a specific model in mind already.

Some people prefer an upright seating position. This can be found in some Scions which also deliver what you want: small, green, and inexpensive. She might even like the Fit.
I've probed, definitely. She's not a very comfortable driver to begin with; we lived in NYC for a while, and while I drove occasionally, she never did. So, she feels more comfortable higher up.

Quote:
If what she really wants is a car that places her eyes higher up, you could try to argue that the race to be taller than the other cars on the road is an arms race that everybody loses, but perhaps she won't go for that sort of rational argument.
Been down that road. I tried the SUVs-are-only-safer-because-everyone-is-driving-one argument. Not worth getting into that further.

Quote:
She may have bought in to the SUV-for-prestige trend. You could buy her an Escalade, or you could take one of the Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe twins and tell her it's a small crossover SUV. With its upright seating position, roof six inches higher than my station wagon, and unimpressive gas mileage, how could it not be an SUV? The same could be argued, to a greater or lesser extent, about a Mazda5, Subaru Outback, and Honda Fit.

If the new Escape Hybrid comes with a driving style assist gauge, that alone will save you hundreds of gallons of gas.
Mentioning GM made me grimace. But the Matrix or the Fit is definitely a possibility, thanks!