View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
How did I miss all this fun?

There are many things that come into play regarding aesthetics.

Budget is one, skill of the designer is another, directives given the designer and the constraints they must stay within is another yet.

It is called "METRO Buddy" for a reason. Maybe it does top out at 50, but it is certain they didn't plan on 50 being the normal operating condition; they planned on it seeing mostly METRO stop'n'go. There are tricks to making a cube like this more aero but they evidently decided it wasn't the highest priority. I wouldn't try to make a rig that probably has a trip average speed of 20mph look like the Mach V either.

Looks like the budget dictated the use of flat glass. That in large part drove the rest of the styling. It would probably look silly to attempt to stick flat windows on to a curvaceous body. "Edgy" is an acceptable design aesthetic too.

They had a formula they decided to adhere to. Looks like all mgmt asked for was an evolutionary update to the Kewet design; not a revolutionary breakaway from it. Looks like most of the old parts were carried over.

I think the trunk lid was enlarged a bit. The mirrors are bigger, slightly repositioned, and better looking. Perhaps the track was widened as it now sports fender flares. Door handles and lighting have an updated look. Evidently the canvas roof was an option, even on the Kewet versions.

I can see a few things I would have done differently; that said, I don't find it repulsive.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 09-01-2009 at 12:17 AM..