View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
So Christ, when you said it would present problems with being in 4HI, the OP is looking for a low speed electric only option, which with the xfer case in 4HI and the trans in neutral, this would drive the rear axle without problems. When he wants to go faster, slip the clutch, start the engine, disengage 4HI. I have an electric xfer case, and the motor does not need to be on for it to engage (although the vacuum actuated front diff does need the engine on).

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Engage 4HI, shift to neutral, start the motor. Reach peak speed of motor, start engine, disengage 4HI, drive like normal. There really would be no limit on speed, only on the internal gearing of the electric motor, and the final drive ratio. No motor gearing? Example: My truck's final is 3.73, so that would be my electric motor ratio.
I'm giving this information with the assumption that he doesn't have shift-on-the-fly capability in 4wd modes.

EDITED: The rest of the information contained in this post didn't apply to the situation.

Last edited by Christ; 09-01-2009 at 10:13 PM..