View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
windrider919
EcoModding Lurker

Group Purchase of Aerodynamic Modeling Program

I have just joined but I see an obvious need for us to be able to do aerodynamic modeling on our proposed mods. I looked all over this site and others for someone who loaned out or could run some tests for me but found no one. The big automakers have done this modeling to design their generic vehicles and have programs specifically designed available but I doubt they will be open source for us, they tend to be conservative and need people like us to show them that the public does want better vehicles. We need this capability in house because sometimes logic and intuition fail in the aerodynamic world. There is software out there but it is too expensive for an individual to buy. But as a group purchase we could spread the cost so that it is affordable to members. I am not sure just how we could work it. We would be buying one license that would run on one machine. I do not know if we could link as members and run our individual test or if we had to submit our 'run' to the 'Keeper of the Program' and he would send us the results. And a data base of successful mod data would be kept for those new members who wanted to do the same. Once the basic car or truck model was generated then the added mods would be easy to change n adapt. That way we all benefit.

For example, I own a 2006 Ford F150 XLT Supercab w/ short bed. Once I have modeled the aerodynamic bed cover or the best air dam / belley pan then other F150 ecomodders could use my data to improve the design of their own. It seems foolish that we are each spending so much time re-inventing the wheel. I want to make my vehicle more fuel efficient, not spend a massive amount of time researching what might work and meanwhile, not modding my vehicle.

Is anyone else interested? Is there a way to do a survey?

I know that Solidworks is about $4000.00. That seems scary but I also belong to "Cast Boolets" forum as a cast bullet shooter and we only took two weeks to donate that same amount of money from members to buy our own server. There may be programs out ther that are both cheaper and better. How about telling us here if you know of one. Not just CAD but actual flow modeling is what we need. Lets hear from you.