View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
So in two days you have saved about 30 minutes of idle time...in 4 days that would be an hour saved and 1/4 gallon of gas saved (by your numbers). Saving a gallon or more a month will surely impact your mpg positively over the course of a year.

You have to decide for yourself on it's impact on your starter and if the fuel savings by shutting down the car are most beneficial that any effect it might have on the starter...it's your car at the end of the day...but personally I don't think it's that big of a deal with the starter (again...it's your car at the end of the day).

I went through this process when I started hypermiling too. Was afraid to use higher psi for it's effect on tire wear/traction and slowly inched up from 35 to current 52 psi I'm running. I ran into a guy running 60 psi on the same tires the other day...so I pumped mine up to 52 yesterday. I was afraid to neutral coast in my former 4runner and slowly worked my way into doing it.

You find out what you are comfortable with and do it...what you are not comfortable with you search for more info until you're comfortable doing it or not doing it...certainly a process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Herring For This Useful Post:
Christ (09-02-2009)