View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
If you buy a replacement starter from an auto parts store, they come with a lifetime warranty.

I've had to replace a couple (long before I started shutting the engine to save fuel), and all you do is walk in with a faulty starter, tell them your phone number (because I had lost the receipt but they keep records in the computer) and walk out with a new starter (also with the same lifetime warranty.)

So for the cost of replacing the starter just once you get a lifetime of starting it at every stoplight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
At extended stops in cold weather, an unheated oxygen sensor could cool off to the point where it is no longer operating normally. The ECU/PCM can detect this state and will spend more time in open-loop mode, which would burn more fuel.
Someone posted here recently pointing out that if you start accelerating immediately after starting, it is irrelevant whether the computer is compensating for the temperature because high-idle/open-loop have the most effect at idle or steady state (low throttle, low RPMs)
How many seconds of idling is equivalent to starting your engine? - IWillTry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?