View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #308 (permalink)
JimIsbell
Honda Insight Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
If the car has the correct shape, you don't need a hybrid system to get good mileage on the highway. I think even an Insight-I would be hard pressed to match my highway mileage at normal highway speeds now and its a much smaller car.
Yes the Insight is a smaller car, but are you running an Air Conditioner also? I have averaged 85 mpg with the air conditioner, over an entire tank of 10 gallons of fuel (850 miles) , on a REAL trip from Corpus Christi Texas to Algona Iowa and that included stops for meals and one overnight stop and citys, etc. AND that also included a passenger and two weeks of luggage.

On a short trip of 54 miles I have gotten 118 MPG without the AC and no passenger or luggage.

Are you getting that mileage with a full load on real road conditions including hills and dales and citys and traffic etc.?

I would try to mod the Insight similar to what you have done, except that it would have to be prettier. Yours is pretty in an engineering sense which satisfies me but my wife wouldn't be seen dead in it. Does your wife ride in it...#8-)