View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
You can usually source aluminum plates of decent size and thickness from salvage yards. They sell it for more than scrap price, usually.

Also, find a welding shop in your area - they'll be able to hook you up clean metals at a price only marginally higher than their cost.
In California, I know a few places I could have hit up. Here in Oklahoma, I have called every listing under "wrecker" (the equivalent of salvage here), "recycling", and "welding" (lots of welders, this is oil country! But they all do steel only). No one has what I need, nor could they get it. One offered the number of a place in Tulsa. They could special order what I need for $134!! Now, there are a few listings on eBay that come close enough to what I need, but with $20 shipping it's about $50. If worse comes to worse, I'll go that route. I have a lot of feelers out, so hopefully someone can come through. Plywood is sounding better and better every day.....
Actually, I really could go with steel, and that's more abundant here than fried foods, but I'm too lazy to drill and cut that stuff....