Thread: Trip to Romania
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Flooded!! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Thanks for the report, it looks like a very interesting place. Are the prices about the same as in PL?
Pretty much the same, in some places food and even lodging is cheaper. But we usually slept in a tent and tried to avoid places that would suck us dry.

I forgot to mention that on the return trip we had a stowaway, adding about 40-50kg to the car's weight. Now you ask: "A 40-50kg stowaway? How could you have not noticed that??" Well... On the day after the return we were cleaning the car, and as I vacuumed I noticed that the carpet in the rear is wet. My first thought was that the bottle of water had a leak. But then I noticed even more water in the front. I got worried. I started pulling up the carpeting and mats the whole floor was a swimming pool There was so much water under the carpet!! I took out the rear and front seats, pulled up the carpet (can't take it out ), pulled out the mats, sqeezed at least 30 liters of water out of them, and started drying the car.

Luckily, the whole week was sunny and warm I spent hours taking the car apart trying to find out how we got so much water. Could it have been during the rain storm in Slovakia? I could tell by the smell and lack of mold that the water was relatively fresh. I spent more hours on the Peugeot forum looking for hints. Finally, I got a lead: check the A/C drain pipe for clogging. So I look for it, and look for it, and look for it... And I can't find it because it's not there! The water that condenses in the A/C should go into a pipe that goes through the floor and drips onto the exhaust under the car. I had no pipe, so the water was dripping next to the hole, right onto the carpet. I didn't notice this earlier, since I never used the A/C for more than 1-2 hours at a time, 1-2 times a week, so even if the carpet got a little damp it would quickly dry. But the second week of our trip saw the A/C being on for 6-9h/day for the whole week. I checked some pictures I took of the underside of the car just after buying it, and it turns out that the pipe was missing then, so maybe the previous owner deleted it. I put a new pipe in place, so the car should be drier now But I'm privately hoping that I won't need to use the A/C so often. One good side to having the car in pieces is that I replaced the fuel and air filters, my engine likes me again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carpets.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	4212  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread