View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BAD_Boy View Post
I put the data for your car in the calc....here what it shows:

Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com

Pretty close results to what you get. However the weight of the car and the frontal area are the two factors backing you off IMHO.
Thanks, Veselin. From the calc I can also see that 170-180km/h should be the max speed for my 80kW engine, which is also close to official figures. I've never tried to max out (and probably never will), but the only time I went faster than 130km/h was when I got to 150km/h and felt I could keep going. But I really feel no need to go faster than 110km/h.

You're right, weight and FA are the bad guys, and there isn't much I can do about it But I'll keep tweeking the Cd. My aeromods seem to have lowered Cd from 0.334 to 0.324, so I wonder if 0.30 is possible?

OK, back to the thread. I have this great urge in me to buy an old car, heavily ecomod it, maybe even swap the engine, and try my luck in some ecodriving contests. My car is too big to give me a fighting chance, though I've seen that in some contests, it's not just how much fuel you used, but how much fuel per 1000kg of car weight. Still, I'd prefer to do it in a small, light car.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread