View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
frodus
EcoModding Lurker

I was going to budget $3k for this project, but I've barely spent over 600, and All I have is welding left.... I'll have to get it street legal (register, get lights working), but it'l be under 1K for a classic 80's sport bike... one of the first actually.

Some people got upset at me for parting it out, saying that I was defacing it, but I think I'll do it justice.

This was just a project I decided to do after talking to some guys at work, and going to some OEVA (Oregon Electric vehicle association) meetings. I was approached by some people in Portland about helping with their controller/balancers/etc. THats All I needed to get hooked.

I've got a second bike as well, which was 100% free when I picked it up. i've got 1 and a half set of fairings between the two of them (bought some fiberglass), and 2 complete chassis. I picked up 2 K99-4007 motors at Surplus center for 230 a piece plus shipping and the ONLY difference between them and the popular K91-4003 motor, was the shaft. So I saved over 400 a piece.

Just having fun right now, its pretty easy to do, just gotta know who to talk to. In fact, I went to a forklift place and they gave me 5 curtis controllers that may or may not work, they were replaced with new ones. Its all who you ask...

THanks for the positive feedback guys...