View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Wonderboy's Metro XFi Revival

Continued from the saga of acquiring this car earlier this summer...

I've entered terra incognita and ripped apart my very first engine. It didn't take that long and was pretty easy. Here's what the aftermath looks like:

Here's the head. Actually doesn't look too bad from what I've seen.

Pistons - also not bad looking. Typical carbon buildup. No scoring on the sides. I ran my finger up the side of each cylinder before removing the pistons; there was no evident wear, no lip around the top where the head gasket rests that would indicate the need for replacement pistons / re-bore.

Tidy.

The only issue I saw was a minor leak in the 3rd cylinder exhaust gasket - it looked like some exhaust had been bleeding over a little, but not crossing into the next pipe of the manifold. It could've even been a matter of not tightening the nearby bolt tightly enough or correctly. I plan on replacing the head gasket (duh), the water pump, the intake and exhaust gaskets, the rod bearings, the main bearings, and the rings. Anyone know what thrust bearings are / if I should get them as well? While I have it open, I figure I should try to find a 1.3l swift 5th gear or at least put bigger tires on it. If Darin finds someone to do a taller 5th gear on the cheap, I'll take this opportunity to ask him nicely to get me something to put here:

I'll pay if it's not an exorbitant amount. If it is... well, you pay

Any suggestions on more stuff to replace while it's cracked open are welcome, this is not just documenting the process because this is my first engine rebuild.