View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Flying Tortoise
EcoModding Lurker

Highest MPG 4x4 RV Ever

Anyone know what it is?

Was looking for an RV to be my home on wheels, must have 4x4, be reliable and get maximum possible MPG. In the past I’ve been pulled to the Dodge Ram 3500 with a 12 valve Cummins Turbo Diesel and a Truck Camper on it. The Cummins engine is just about the greatest diesel engine I know of and it gets about 20 mpg stock. There is also I lot of mods that can be done to increase the mpg, as well as being able to run it on veggie oil or biodiesel. The only thing I don’t like about it, is that it’s in a Dodge. From what I understand Dodge is the least reliable of the American trucks, which American made automobiles last about half as long as Japanese made automobiles. This is why I was wondering if there may be a better candidate out there for my ultimate mpg 4x4 RV, with better reliability, like a Toyota. I did have an ’85 Toyota pickup with a 22R, 4 cylinder engine, one time and put a small Truck Camper on it, though it was seriously lacking power and would only go up hills at like 20 mph. When I found out I could get the same mpg and much more power with the Cummins is why I switched to Dodge. That’s the other feature I’d really like to have if possible, the ability to travel the speed limit if I want to.

Oh course running on veggie oil would drastically reduce the cost of driving I believe, which is ultimately what I’m after. Although I still have concerns that have held me back so far from installing a conversion kit, such as availability of usable used veggie oil while travelling to new places, cost of conversion, possibility of early failure of engine / fuel injection pump, etc, time involved in collecting, filtering and testing used oil. My primary motivation for switch the SVO would be saving money. Any idea if it’s worth it to do the conversion? Would you end up saving money in the long run or would the previously mentioned concerns end up costing more than what I’m saving? If you would end up saving money, how much would you save?

Also was looking at Ford diesels as I believe Ford is a more reliable truck than Dodge, although the engine is probably less reliable.

Also I’ve heard there was some Toyota diesels out there, but are quite rare. Anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks for listening.