View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
McTimson
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
100lbs is pushing it for the AC system....it's mostly aluminum, at least it was in my car. The entire system in my car (compressor, condenser, radiators, and misc. plumbing and wiring) only weighed a little over 30lbs. Granted, that's for a 2 door Tercel, but I can't imagine it being too much heavier for a larger car.

The major difference for me when I removed the AC stuff was the realization that my radiator was in terrible condition. The AC radiator was covering up all the damaged/missing fins in the coolant radiator, so I couldn't really tell how bad it was.

As far as whether or not you need AC - there were maybe 2 weeks in this entire summer that I second-guessed my decision to remove the AC. I'm guessing that in Wisconsin, it probably would have been less than that. That's only 4% of the year - and I didn't even open the windows for those 2 weeks. Opening the windows alone would have been more than enough for me, if not, some type of portable fan would have sufficed.

If I were in a hotter climate, my feelings would probably be a little different. I get very claustrophobic in hot, humid areas, so if I was living in somewhere unbearably hot, I'd probably leave some sort of AC installed. But up here in NY, it's really not necessary.