View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I found in my Van that accelerating at a "decent" rate is optimal. Too slow, I lose MPG... too fast, I lose MPG.

The "optimal" for my van also seems to be just about where everyone else wants to accelerate on calm days.

9 times out of 10, if I'm braking, it's because I'm stopping, and my engine is probably off, at least 200, probably more like 500 feet before I stop. Other than complete stops, I try to adjust the throttle and use terrain/gears to slow down/speed up. I also try not to accelerate on up hills, only on flats and downhills. On nice downhills, I just put 'er in Neutral and let the weight of the van provide the acceleration.

Same with braking. If I need to slow down, and there's a hill ahead, I just let the hill slow me down. If I'm changing speeds with applicable speed limits, I usually coast down to the new limit, or wait to accelerate until I get to a flat/downhill run, if it's feasible and not going to piss anyone else off.

I gave up on driving 45-50 everywhere. I wasn't getting any (noticeably) better economy, and it was driving me insane that I'd always end up with some A-hello behind me, no matter what time of day, how many people I just let go by me, etc... I got tired of slowing down to let people around me... that action alone is probably why I never noticed better FE from the method.

My TCL happens at 38MPH (on the speedo.. more like 36 real-speed) and I lift at that point to let it engage. I can actually accelerate faster with TC lock at the lower RPM than I can in 3rd gear slipping at higher RPM. It's very counter-intuitive, but I don't mind it.

Where the speed limit in town is 35, I try to maintain TC lock at as low a throttle angle as possible while still holding speed.