View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus McFancypants View Post
I have often considered changing my own oil. But I usually figure the financial payback is not there ( would I buy want to buy enough oil to make it worth it? then I have to store / dispose of it)

Besides for $20 and being out of there in 20 minutes - is it such a strain that I need to start doing myself?

I am sure the "self satisfaction" of doing it would probably get me to break even.
Can you actually get out the door for $20? In Canada at a chain the cheapest I could get out the door for was around $40-45 after taxes and fees of all sorts... My dealer could do it for $32 but an appointment was needed most of the time. I do it now myself for $13-15 for summer changes(honeywell filters, Rotella T 15W40). My winter changes to rotella T syn 5W40 cost about $25 if I get the oil on sale. Syn oil at a quick lube here is probably $60+ out the door. Plus you'd have to fight them to put in "diesel" oil into your car...
I can do both cars in an hour on the driveway so its pays way more than my day job after taxes!