View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Question How do I make a trike electric?

Just a thought, even though my wife is doing well on her trike, we were dealt another health issue for her.

She has had issues with her right hip for years, but it has been getting a lot worse lately. Doctors aren't sure if she has a fracture in the socket, or a tumor. So she is on crutches for 4 weeks and will have new xrays and a MRI to see... Fun huh? So went digging in the medical supply store (my basement) for crutches.

So, how hard would an electric setup be to add to a trike? What do I need, what can I fab? I would like to see if I can setup something with a chain and sprocket to drive the axle, but not be a hindrance when pedaling. When we got the trike and I put it together, we added the optional 3 speed hub and coaster brake. I can get another adapter to use a single speed freewheel on the shaft (since I didn't use the included freewheel), so that leaves mating a motor and power controller. Ideas, thoughts, opinions?

(Yes, we ride with helmets, I had her turn around and come back to the truck for the pics...)

I will add, that until her strength and endurance get better, we ride on a flat stretch of road where lots of cyclists go and very limited vehicular traffic. She has done well (since she almost died of double pneumonia in April), keeps a good pace and speed, and has added distance weekly... We have been pleasantly surprised by the encouragement of most riders with very very few snobs (roadies, you know who you are!).

Last edited by zjrog; 09-11-2009 at 02:07 PM..