View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
After calculating fuel costs, etc... it's still cheaper usually to do it in your driveway. Disposal is free, go to a parts store.

The only time it's better (ok, not better, but you know) to get it done elsewhere, is when you're already there doing something else. It'll help keep your car warm for better fuel economy, too! :P

I do my oil so few times (like once a year, maybe) that it just doesn't really matter how I get it done. Problem is, to get the oil I use, I'd have to pay extra for it. They won't put on my choice oil filter, either. They'll also probably over-tighten the oil drain plug.

With all those potential problems, I'll just do it at home. Besides, we use waste oil for heat in the shop during the winter. Sure, it's not the most eco-friendly thing to do with it, but economics comes into play at some point... if I recycle the oil, I have to pay for more dino-oil to burn for fuel, or rely solely on wood, which becomes wasteful on days where the wood burner isn't quite enough, or is just too much.