View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)

What I suggested as riding position sucks, is not that the seatpost is laid back so far... But the crank is so far forward of the seatpost (which is 70*, just like the Trek 950s I will make into a tandem...). Of course, we never intended this to be a serious cycling machine...

As my wife gets faster and has more stamina (of course, lots depend on the recent hip issue mentioned in another thread), I have been thinking of ways to make the trike faster. The easiest to do is to swap the rear sprocket for a taller geared one. After that, it gets more difficult. I might be able to swap the input sprocket on the Nexus hub just not sure yet. Next would to build new wheels at 26" instead fo the 24s... But that would look funny. I think.

We are still building the tandem, tubing will be ordered soon. But we might end up buildign the tandem as a trike. Or, be able to make it work either as a bike or a trike. Parts for the trike aren't that expensive, a rear conversion is under $200, the hard part will be gearing... But I think I have that part figured out. We'll see how that goes. Why the tandem as a trike? We are concerend my wifes balance issues might make her feel out of control relying on me for balance. And seriously, I don't intend the tandem to be a speed machine anyways.