View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #130 (permalink)
Fabio
#1 Insight Parts Seller

Hey Jake.

I didn't realize you and your team were on this forum.. but I was definitely jealous when I first heard of your project (and that you completed it in almost no time at all!). The diesel Lupo engine, is vastly better then the diesel smart engine, and probably will still be more fuel efficient even if I managed to modify the engine in a way where it actually gains efficiency from deleting the turbo. You made the right call by going Lupo!

This isn't the only project I'm working on at the moment though.. I have several Insight chassis to work with.. and I'm curious, do you think your Insight would have been more efficient if you would have swapped in the entire Lupo drive and deleted all of Hondas IMA BS?
Does the assist even help that much? I would assume that the 1.2 diesel you have in it already has sufficient torque.. Is there anything else you would have done differently if you were more focused on just FE and less on winning the epic X-Prize (which would mandate also making a great overall car.. which you definitely did..)?

Anyways, good job on that Insight!