Thread: Muscle Car MPG?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0n View Post
Long time lurker here. I've recently picked up a 72 Ford Maverick w/the inline six 200cid "indestructible" engine. I'm wondering if anyone else here has gone through the motions of making their own older classic car more fuel efficient and what kinds of things I can do to improve mine?

I've thought about converting to fuel injection, but I really want to keep it as original and cheap as possible at the moment. Any thoughts?

Thanks
I had a zephyr with it. 90hp?
The intake and emmissions of the later 70s was insane, 1972 should have a bit more strength if in typical history of its generation.
A very common weber 32/36, progressive electric choke, and get some advice on the displacement for jetting, it is a conservative one.

My late 70s version was so tight it broke its own intake trying to get air. Somebody built something crazy at ford, I hope your 200 doesn't have what mine did. I had realistic motivation and never went through with it, the weber custom jetted, emmissions removed, excpet for canister, fuel venting and return lines, a newer convertor, away it would have went.

200 cubic inch is a giant, and straight sixxes do not want to run, to get a goal of 30mpg is incredible.

keep an eye on those washers holding the exhaust and intake simultaneous going into the block.