View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #97 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I don't claim to live on 2k a year, and I'm collecting unemployment right now (a rather hefty sum, compared to local jobs), but I've lived far below the poverty level, and I lived happily that way.

I'm perfectly OK with hunting/trapping (albeit illegally) for my food, living in the woods in a shack that I build with downed trees and moss, drinking water from an artesian-fed stream, picking berries and nuts to eat... More than happy.

I just can't force my family to live that way, so I must succumb to the daily grind, which includes electricity, TV, internet, etc.

TV soon won't be an option (when the house is built) though. I'm not paying for satellite TV, she can watch it on the Internet. I don't personally care about TV. I feel like most of it is a detractor from my interest in life.

I intend to live in that house, once it's built, on as little money as is necessary to keep us fed and clothed, and keep us living healthily, with a few amenities, such as internet, which is actually more of a useful tool to me than an amenity.