View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You'd use the clutch and pressure plate/flywheel from the transmission, unless you could find a clutch disk for the transmission that would fit inside the pressure plate of the Geo's motor.

Without knowing the sizes, I couldn't be of any help. I'd have to look up the clutch diameter of the Suzi-clone and then cross reference it with others to find a close-but-not-quite-perfect-match.

Usually, if it's close, it works.

The best way to do it and see if it would work, though, is to put a used clutch disc from the new to you tranny into your pressure plate assembly and see if it will mostly mate up, or all the way mate up. The way we drive, a 75% match between the friction material and the pressure plate would be fine, I'd think.

1wd super OD -

Remove the longer axle, separate the axle shaft from the CV joints, put the outer joint back into the hub, bolt it in (so the hub doesn't come apart). Cut the stub off the inner CV joint, then weld some bar to it that you could bend around to a point where you could bolt it fast to the engine block.

That would allow the wheel to freewheel safely, while stopping one side of the transaxle's differential from spinning, thereby transferring all the torque to the one wheel... just don't put that wheel on a slippery surface...

Wouldn't be bad for a 1 hour experiment, though. (It only takes like 15 mins to remove a CV axle and 10 to disassemble it when you don't plan on rebuilding it.)