View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Backtobasics
EcoModding Apprentice

Dart Lite - '76 Dodge Dart Dart Lite
90 day: 18.34 mpg (US)

Beater..with a Heater - '94 Isuzu Rodeo LS
90 day: 16.19 mpg (US)
MPG experiment, 1976 Dart Lite

I started this a while back on my Mopar forums. I am going to post the previous stuff, and then start back where I am now.

I have an almost stock Dart Lite. 225 /6 with 3 SPEED and 7.25 rear end.
The car is manual steering, manual 4 wheel drum brakes, and very little options (3 speed wiper and 3 speed transmission were only primary options) Only "upgrades" so far are the modern radial tires, and a "dual" exhaust that splits into a Y where the stock converter would have been, through glasspacks out the rear. Exhaust is in line after carb, and distributor modifications, with a GOOD dual or bigger single system with better mufflers.

Since this was Dodge's MPG car, that is what I am going to start to do...Tune it for better mileage.

As run, it has 15" ralleye wheels, small bolt pattern. The drum brakes have been gone through COMPLETELY, and now stop EXCELLENT.

Dart has received a basic tune up consisting of:
•plugs
wires
cap
rotor
fuel filter
air filter
oil change
I adjusted the valves to quiet it down, i still have one or 2 that are clacking, so I need to go back with the feeler gauge, and get them adjusted properly.
I also had to run the idle a little higher then I would like to make driving easier, as it would not leave a stop at low idle. Investigation led me to no accelerator pump function.
First full tank, of 35% in-town driving, and 65% highway, (with stop and go, but most highway is 35-55 consistantly) MPG was 13.5

Long Terms goals:
I am going to swap the 4Speed OD that I bought with the car, once I have maximized MPG in the current configuration. I also bought 8 3/4 rear with 3.55 (3.23 also available) rear end that I want to go in later. Eventual plans are Turbo stock /6, and 8.75 may wait until then, or in sooner if the 7.25 gives up sooner.