View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
didnt they get down to a cd of like .20 or some awesomely low number?

the backside of those camaros looks pretty aero to me, especially thiers that looks like it has some rake to the whole car
I'm not necessarily saying they were incorrect with that statement, and yes, they got that camaro down close to .20 cd - but there was no real scientific testing laid out there...

IOW - Who knows what laying the windshield back would do on a car with a less aero profile? Who knows what mods were already in place on his car that might deaden the effect of the windshield mod? Who knows that there wasn't some improvement that was unnoticed because such a large cross section of the vehicle was changed?

They added foam core to the car to make the steeper angle, which means they had to add the foam from the upper ridge of the windshield (brow bar) to the hood line, somewhere that would make 60*. This would effectively make the nose of the car shorter. Does this have an effect on cd? Can you say for sure without really testing it? I can't!

Here's a fact: To properly "lay back" a windshield, you have to chop the top. That means a reduction in frontal area, as well as a smoother rake to the windshield line. NOW do you think it would have an aero effect?