Thread: Project 100mpg
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
as a side note, id love to go ev, but my commute and other drives wont let me at this point in battery technology. For example next month my finance and i will be driving 800 miles round trip to get married.

one of my main goals other then gas mileage is to try to keep the interior as nice as possible, no gutting for this car. My old gutted car got 45 mpg at 75mph, and it was an inch higher then stock due to the gutting. And has the windows down due to no ac. That car was a sohc neon with the same tranny i plan to put into this one, with a much larger throttle body, cold air intake and header. Car weighed 2000 pounds, compared to this ones current weight of about 2430.

When i rebuild the engine, im going to be going through a lot of things, such as fixing the restrictions in the oiling system and cooling system, such as the bedplate to block oiling port. Im also going to be using lighter rotating parts, and using swaintech coatings to both reduce friction and keep more heat in the combustion chamber. I also have an idea on reusing some of the heat from the radiator. The manifold should help, although ill have to keep the stock neon manifold for smog, cause no way will the stratus one pass visual.