View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
What has chased me away from buying this book is the math.
You guys say that there is a lot to be learned from the pictures too, but what percentage would you say is math versus the simple stuff ?
( Which book version is more suited to my needs ? )

Thanks
Don't be intimidated by the math.Much of the work is in table or graphical form.You can "look" at many relations affected by size,shape,velocity,etc.,there's nothing to calculate.---- If you're comfortable working with fractions and percentages,you can "extend" lines and curves to get to data firmly established by the trend lines of the original curves/lines.------------------ I've taken the book to the copy center here where I do the computer internet and photo-enlarged many of the images,graphs,and tables up to 800% just to make them easier to work with.------------ I developed the aerodynamic template from images Hucho had in different parts of the book.There was no calculation to it.Just curvature based on a convenient size reference.Don't be spooked,you'll love it,and as Frank mentioned,each time you look through it,you'll get something new out of it.Consider it part of your early retirement investment portfolio for the money it's going to save you.On my recent trip to New Mexico I saved 50% on fuel because of what I chose in the 1/2-ton pickup market,and what I did to it.All those mods can be deduced from the images in the book with ,a decent bubble level,tape measure,a 99-cent protractor,and the percent function of a $5 pocket calculator.