Thread: Project 100mpg
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
the indy intake manifold is horrible for the neon, unless your boosted or are making rediculous power na. On a basically stock motor, you lose power almost everywhere with it, runners are just too big.

I have a guy thats going to port a head for me, nothing big, almost nothing to the intake side, smooth out the exhaust, while keeping velocity as high as possible. Guy has a flow bench in his garage. Combustion chambers and exhaust ports will then be ceramic coated, to waste less heat into the head itself, and use more for power.

As far as oiling, theres a couple of spots where oil ports dont match properly, that will be fixed, as well as oil shedding coatings on everything in the lower end and the bottom of the inside of the head, where oil pools up. Theres some small restrictions in the cooling system by the water pump from casting flaws that will be fixed as well. The crank will be knife edged, and lighter, and all bearings will be coated to reduce friction. Main journals, rod journals, and cam lobes/journals will all be micropolished.

for the manifold, im looking at the stratus manifold, as it puts the torque peak in a lower rpm, which might help mileage. Of course, my idea is to dyno test, to make sure its doing what it should do, or the smoothed stock mani will go back on.