View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Yeah, yeah. I’ll edit the typo. Let me work on pics. My little Kodak takes big-file .jpg photos that this site does not easily digest.

Long-term testing vs Scanguage is mostly a matter of philosophy. Beyond the fact that Scanguage is completely befuddled if you mess with the PCM (which I do) it is really just a one-shot “snapshot” of a condition you may or may not be able to duplicate. My test is faithful to what a real-world driver could get.

I have developed my test methods over a number of years. August is the optimal time for testing as it tends to be very dry here. My travel times generally dodge traffic delays due to school busses and I don’t test if there is road work (there are only two seasons in Indiana: road repair and basketball) to foul things up. I essentially drive the posted limit plus or minus 2 MPH. My hypermiling is moderate and very consistent – mostly consisting of coasting in very specific places - and I scrupulously make sure I do that hypermiling for both cases. My margin of error is actually more like 0.25 MPG. The difference here is well outside that.

Surprisingly, the “paddle” mirrors are not much smaller than the TT mirrors – maybe 10%. They do live a lot closer to the door than the TT mirrors do.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam