View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxchain View Post
If you get enough of them together you can slap them on your engine block and throw away your alternator. A ridiculously expensive alternator.
Ha! One of the senior design projects at my university is a thermoelectric radiator They're just modifying an off the shelf radiator to accept the chips - the goal is 1.5kW IIRC. It's pretty cool, I usually pay attention to their presentations

Quote:
But one thing I was thinking... Mount it in a wall or window in the winter and run it "backwards" to generate electricity.
It's 71 degrees outside No use as a thermocouple

Brand is unknown - I don't want to take off the cold sink as the screws are glued in and I figure it's best to leave that alone if I want to use it at it's current performance/state

Oh, the thing - fans and all is 4 7/8" thick - 5" including the stock cool sink grille.

Quote:
Those work better for heating then for cooling, as they aren't very efficient, and that wasted energy is of course turned in to heat.
Yep... Typically, I don't need any heat due to my location... But, I guess it would work as a rather inefficient dehumidifier...