View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I've never had a big problem with drum brakes dragging and have yet to see a disk brake that doesn't drag, my first motorcycle, a Honda CL160 had front drum brakes, did some short stops a few times with that bike and never had the front wheel lock up unless I wanted it too and never had a lack of braking power, I kind of wish my current motorcycle was a year older when they still did drum brakes as the disk on it is nothing but trouble.
my current car (1981 commuter vehicles, commuti-car) has drum brakes all around, the early model had disks in the front then they stopped and went to drums, smooth, trouble free, easy to work on.
at work both the car we use for going to bid jobs and the truck we have has the rear disks with drums for parking, worst idea ever, they do a poor job of stopping and we replace them every 15,000-20,000 miles, but they look cool and that is what sells.
If I had the money I would get a set of the first gen Insight rear drums, they are aluminum drums like the early CRX HF had, those CRX drums are sought after by people who race crx's for their light weight and their stopping power.