View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
For the last 30 years I've had the same experiences as Ryland: drums haven't been draggy for me except regarding parking brake cable problems here in the Rust Belt, and that ain't the fault of the brakes. I've never had auto adjusters tighten things up til they drag- not that I can remember anyway.

Discs, though... the last two summers especially, I've been fixing draggy disc problems, as my and my friend's and family's stuff is all getting about to that age where this sort of thing comes up. I ranted here already re: Gold Wing caliper pistons sticking due to corrosion behind the seals locking everything up; the rest were cars that all suffered from rusty/frozen caliper sliders and some had sticky pistons too. We are talking, brakes dragging hard enough to warp rotors in the case of the Honda, hard enough to burn my fingertip on the Metro, and hard enough to waste fuel on 3 Fords.

I wish every car and truck I owned had brakes like my Corvair and Bel Air: 4 wheel drums. Clean wheels and freewheeling action discs can only dream of.
Of course, there must be a safety issue with that... there MUST BE.