View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
pdxmonkeyboy
EcoModding Lurker

Huh, move closer...now why didn't I think of that? I guess it comes down to the two kids and wife that works thing. She has her dream job, and I recently got my dream job..so I guess for now I just have to get used to the idea that I will be driving allot and spending money as well. For me, this is the cost of being able to help design stream and wetland enhancement/restoration projects instead of facilitating their destruction to enable more houses and shopping centers to be built. Worth it? Yes.

Robert has a very good point. Right now, I'm set to go look at and drive a two seat geo metro. (yes, I bailed on the back seat option). I drove one yesterday..and lets just say it drives a weee bit different than the wife's Audi A4 which I have been borrowing lately as she has been biking to the office. I can't get over the fact that I feel like I am in a tin-foil death trap. Can anyone give me an idea of how the metro does in rain/snow/high winds? That is the kind of thing I am going to be dealing with on my commute in the winter. I am commuting out the Columbia River Gorge which has to be the most beautiful drive in the country in the fall/spring/summer but in the winter, 40 knot winds, driving rain and snow are fairly common.

There is an 02 honda insight locally with new batteries, tires, and 97k milage for $4900. It has some "minor body damage" but as long as it isn't structural their shouldn't be a problem. Seems like it may be worth just plunking down the 5 grand and purchasing the honda.. Little more safety, little more creature comfort. The downside...if you can call it that. IS that the insight seems to have a pretty small DC already so it may not be worth building a "frankenstein car".

Any thoughts? Sorry if I seem a little all over the place with my posts. I've got a good deal of knowledge about sporty cars and sedans and such, but just don't have any experience with sub-compacts or hybrids.

Thanks in advance!!!