View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #57 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Big Dave -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The revised 1L looks more like a coffin and less like a sex toy.

VW needs to go all-in for their real market for these things and go single seat with cargo space for 6-8 bags of groceries. You ain't gonna get Momma in that back seat. Not even at gunpoint.

This car is strictly for the guy who has a long road commute. They might sell 25,000 units a year if they can keep the price under $18,000 US. Its a "halo car" like the Z06 Corvette. Get the rubes in the dealership to look then sell them a Jetta that they can use.
That's me, so I like it. Ha ha, coffin, I like that too. I could put skull and crossbone decals on it.

Frank -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Note some of the aero changes:

no dorsal fin
did the moving engine compartment intake vent(s) go away?
less greenhouse-less solar gain and less glare in driver's eyes
less distortion (bubble) in windshield and side glass
hubcaps might be similar but styled to look less like discs; more conventional
camera pickups in regular mirror locations (if that's what those are) eh... i think those are conventional mirrors...

i don't recall V1 having those strakes under the rear end before- shouldn't say without reviewing a pic of that tho'.
wheelwell flare appears to stick out less, with less radius on aft edge (but photos can sometimes deceive too so...)

Dang it, I might have to break my "no new cars" pledge...
From NeilBlanchard's pix, they are cameras. I would offer conventional mirrors in the base version and the dual cameras as an option. In this way the consumer would be made *directly* aware of the MPG increase as a function of reducing frontal area. The brochure could present the "payback period" on the camera option.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 09-22-2009 at 03:36 PM..