View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jammer -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
... Here is the picture from my dashboard:

THE PICTURE WAS SHOWING, BUT NOW IT WONT DISPLAY. IT READ 45.2 MPG AVG.

That's a really cool picture. I saw a Pikachu-Yellow Cobalt a month ago that was mighty tempting. I think my engine shares some DNA with your Ecotec :

Saabnet.com: 9-3SS BB Post: L850/Ecotec (2.0L)
Quote:
The L850 engine program at GM (which was eventually branded the Ecotec) was designed to be a Universal block for 4 cylinder GM passenger cars. Short note: I worked for a few years for a Tier 1 supplier of internal engine components for GM, so I have some knowledge/background on the L850 engine program, though by no means extensive. It was planned for all of the GM brands at the time (late 90's) including Saab, Opel, and Lotus, along with Chevy, Saturn, Olds, and Pontiac to use this basic L850 block (yes it is cast Al, and I believe it is also lost foam cast, which was/is a Saturn innovation). Because this block was designed from the beginning to be used in robust applications, it benefited from relatively high design limits. It was engineered for turbocharged/supercharged applications at the get go (with handy features like passages for oil jet cooling of pistons, rather than splash lubrication).
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society