View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #238 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=Tygen1;128744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Twin cam timing belts (That's what stuck, the cam shaft) are a PITA to put on and time correctly at times. A single tooth off can stop a car from starting, and they often float 1/2 tooth under normal use... so that gives you an idea of the tolerance for error.QUOTE]

The Zetec is somewhat natorious for being hard to time by mechanics that are not familar with them. There are no timing marks, cept on the harmonic balencer. The Variable exhaust cam makes it more difficult because it should be slightly pre loaded, or you end up one tooth off and it doesn't run so good. It's easy to mess up the timing on it. By the third time I did a belt, I didn't need the book anymore. It's actually very simple once you know the process: Remove old belt and valve cover. Align harmonic balancer mark with engine mark. Set cams by sliding flat steel into the ends to hold in place. Make sure the tensioner is loose. Put on belt, make sure it is pulled tight on the exhaust cam side, slightly turn exhust cam to pre-load the VCT and align the belt ribs onto the intake cam pulley. Make sure to take out the exhuast cams holding plate before preloading or you'll bust off cam slot. Slide belt on all the way. Align mark on the tesioner with the mark on the engine and tighten it up. Done!
My Twin Cam honda engines are easier than that... takes a 3mm allen wrench through a hole in each cam, toss the belt on and hold all the slack to the tensioner side, let the tensioner set against the belt, and turn the engine over twice CCW by hand. (Honda D-series engines turn CCW)