View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
This is something that I've considered with hybrids, actually... why do they really need a radiator? I mean, if the engine gets in to over-heat territory, it could just shut down, allowing the electric motor to drive the car... I'm not sure how exactly that would work, but thermo-electrics could help with the overheating issue - if you convert heat energy to electrical energy, it helps to cool the engine.

Hm.. I'm not an engineer... someone tell me why this seems too easy, without discussing price?

Tygen - As I"m sure you know, being "Master of your Domain" is one of the best ways to get better mileage from anything... once you've learned how your car and your route interact with each other, you can get some pretty remarkable numbers going on. Upset either of those things, by using a diff car, or taking a slightly diff route, you can quickly go downhill. That's one of the big problems about using a car that wasn't designed (or redesigned) for FE, that it's limited to what the driver can do, and when the driver can do it. If any one variable changes, the FE goes to hell.