View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Chases and accidents are all well and good for entertainment, but cruiser vs. cycle may not fit the crime. The whole "Police Chase" needs to be examined.

There's a fine line between effective pursuit and endangering other motorists. On one hand, we just can't let a felon flee, but we can't endanger average drivers, so what do you do as a department?

Due to the fact that demolition derby vehicle availability has been reduced due to the "Clunkers" program, the sport has sadly left many talented drivers on the sidelines. Let us celebrate their abilities and get them back in the ring. Forget the fancy pit maneuver with expensive, new cruisers, maintaining a fleet of helicopters, or even costly spike strips... a good old thrashing from a few demo drivers in government-acquired '73 LTDs (they're out there), and the situation is diffused in moments -- for pennies on the dollar.

Everybody wins.

RH77
WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!?!

But, seriously... If noone noticed, the headline that I posted was actually the YouTube description of the video... and yes, DCB - that other one was a "right time, wrong place" sort of accident... I mean, it's very difficult to see motorcyclists at times as it is, but when they're in your blind area, at night, it's even worse... add to that the "necessity" to make an abrupt left turn across traffic to engage pursuit, and you've got yourself a good old-fashioned pig roast when someone catches it on video.

Not that there was really any reaction time, but two things should have happened there: The bike should have backed off and began evasive/defensive maneuvers, in case of something like that happening, and the officer should have given ample time between turning his lights/siren on and actually making the maneuver.

Of course, given proper reaction time, the bike and all other motorists should have cleared the path for the cruiser - that's just common knowledge, although it doesn't always happen.

In some cases, there isn't enough time, but I think there's a mandate that requires X time between turning the lights/sirens on and making a "normally illegal or dangerous" maneuver. I'll have to ask a few friends what they were trained to do in that situation, if they'll even answer such a question.